Remember all those tidbits of advice Grandma used to dole out when it came to hooking up with men? You probably rolled your eyes at most of what she had to say, but some of her advice may be valid. Here are a few dating tips from the past, updated for today.
Grandma’s advice: A man will never buy the cow if he gets the milk for free.
- Today’s application: Grandma had a point in that sleeping with a man will not make him fall in love with you. However, it doesn’t mean you should withhold sex as a means to get him to declare his devotion. Rather than make the relationship about physical intimacy right out of the gate, get to know each other first. Until you know how a man feels about you, wait before you jump in the sack.
Grandma’s advice: You’re not getting any younger. You should settle down soon.
- Today’s application: You’re a mature woman; so don’t act naïve about love. Instead of dreamily falling for that cute hunk in the office, get to know all the single guys you work with. Instead of poo-pooing your best friend’s suggestion to meet her cousin, give it a shot. Learn to date, rather than hold on to a fantasy that will never materialize. Go on dates with a variety of different guys so you can better find the right one for you. Sometimes he’s the shy one without the cool lines to impress you. The real Prince Charming is different than the one you imagined. Keep your expectations open so you can recognize him when he does comes along.
Grandma’s advice: The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.
- Today’s application: Show a guy you care about him while still keeping your options open. Sure you want to impress your man by whipping up his favorite foods or showing him how great you are at tidying up his place, but never do these things as a way to get a man to love you. If he doesn’t really, truly care about you – he won’t no matter what you do. Don’t take it personally. Just scratch the guy off your list and move on to the next one.
Grandma’s advice: A good man is worth waiting for.
- Today’s application: A good man will come along while you’re making the rest of your life great as well. Never wait for a guy to complete you. No man will ever do that. You have to be comfortable in your own skin before you can ever really love someone. The way to do that? Live. Get out and do things. Learn something new. Add facets to your already fantastic life so when a great guy does happen along your way, he won’t want to chance you meeting someone else.
Grandma’s advice: He’s too good for you.
- Today’s application: He just might be a bum… and why subject yourself to that? Singles today have plenty of choices when it comes to meeting new people. However, sometimes women will stay with a guy that isn’t right just because they don’t want to be alone. Rather than fearing singlehood, look at your love life as an important object you aren’t going to leave in the care of just anyone. Never reason away a guy’s inability to treat you right as a flaw you just have to accept. You don’t. There are plenty of guys out there waiting for someone just like you.